Alpha Co. home page, 1965-71 Alpha Co. KIA's  1965-71 Alpha Co. 1965-66 History Alpha Co. 1967 History Alpha Co. 1968-71 History Alpha Co. Captain's page Alpha Co. 1st's page Troopers Page Jumping Mustangs home page
Alpha Company 1965-1971
June 1 & 2, 1969
June 1 & 2 1969 link Alpha photos 65-66 Patrick Skinner photos
Alpha rosters A-Z
Events of June 1st & 2nd, 1969
Written by
Copyright © 2000
I was a 1st Lieutenant with A Battery 2nd Battalion 19th Field Artillery, attached to Alpha Company, 1st Battalion 8th
Cavalry as a Forward Observer to A Company's commander, Captain Marm. If I am not mistaken, Captain Marm was the
second commander for the company since I had joined them in January 1969. As of June 2, 1969, I had logged more time
in the field with Alpha Company, than any of the other Officers.
On June 1st 1969, A Company was working a search and destroy mission north of Xuan Loc, along the Dong Nai River in
Long Khanh province. We discovered an NVA/VC supply area that contained tonnage of canned Mackerel from Japan,
Rice from the USA, and Nestles canned milk. It seemed odd finding this material in the area.
We also discovered Sampans, which we attempted to destroy but found it almost impossible to blow a hole in them
using C-4. Subsequently the company floated the sampans downstream and placed C-4 in their bottoms in an attempt to
rupture the frame. Some sampans sank, while others did not. We crossed the islands and were located on the North
bank of the Dong Nai River.
Captain Marm was notified by Battalion to proceed West along the bank to a bunker complex that had just been bombed.
We were to destroy a 2000-pound bomb that had failed to explode upon impact. The bunkers were located, but not
searched. We set up a night location 100 Meters from the complex. I called in artillery fire for defensive targets on three
sides of our position. Our backs were to the river. Around 1500 hours, a Log bird arrived with supplies, in  addition to
two enlisted engineers with cases of C-4. The engineers were sent by the Brigade to destroy the bomb in place, so as to
keep the explosives away from the enemy.
The two engineers, another man from Alpha Company, and myself, proceeded up the trail to the bunker complex without
incident. The bomb had penetrated the hospital roof, punching a hole through an operating table. This was a  well-
stocked medical facility. I left the bunker and watched the area with the other soldier. When the engineers
finished setting their charges with a 10-minute delay fuse, we cleared the area. We did not hear a large explosion. It
was determined that the bomb had failed to detonate. The engineers gathered their remaining sticks of C-4 and we once
again returned to the bunkers. Twice would be the charm. While they again readied the bomb, I began a short survey of
the other bunkers. I noticed a bunker very near the hospital which contained small arms ammo, recoilless rifle rounds,
and RPGs with charges. I wanted to destroy the enemy supplies before we left, but the engineers had no spare C-4. A
three-minute fuse was set, forcing us to run from the area. A tremendous explosion ripped through the jungle, knocking
us off our feet. We could hear large pieces of shrapnel flying through the air, hitting trees.
Upon our return to the CP, there was a debriefing before bedding down for a peaceful night.
The morning of June 2, 1969 began normally. The 1st Platoon Squad led by SSG Lyman Bach formed up next to me as
they prepared to move out to destroy the bunker complex. The men were talking about their cars back home. One of the
men asked me to come see his car when I got out. I was asked to join them (as I had done on previous occasions). At
that moment, I received a call from the fire direction center, forcing me to decline the invitation to accompany them.
I was the last person to speak to the men before they proceeded up the trail. They were gone only a short time when a
command detonated charge killed all 5 soldiers instantly. Almost immediately, automatic weapons began firing. A
machine gun team, which was near my location, ran toward the firing. I immediately called for fire and had rounds
landing behind the enemy within minutes. I began to walk the rounds 100 meters at a time towards our location. My
greatest concern was the probable error of a gun target line round falling short. Tactically speaking, artillery is much
safer when fired perpendicular to the line of sight.
The Command & Control helicopter arrived with the Battalion Commander, LTC. Graham, and the Artillery Liaison Officer.
They flew across the artillery round trajectory, forcing me to check fire until they were clear. I asked the LNO (Liaison
Officer) to spot my rounds so I could get them close, but that request was overruled when LTC. Graham came up on my
radio frequency asking for a situation assessment. He was unable to contact Captain Marm. I told them to get out of my
line of fire, and that we had been hit hard with possibly 50% wounded or killed. The Battalion Commander overruled
artillery and recommended I call Blue Max for helicopter air support. The Battalion Commander told me that Company B
would be sent in to assist. Time was lost while waiting on Blue Max and not being able to fire artillery due to the
Command and Control bird.
Blue Max arrived with a "Hunter, Killer Team" consisting of a Light Observation Helicopter (LOH – pronounced "LOACH")
and a Cobra (Attack helicopter armed with mini guns and rockets). The LOH began flying behind us, moving upstream on
the river doing a quick recon. While flying at tree top level, the LOH was hit by enemy fire approximately 100 meters to
our right flank, causing the LOH to crash with a tremendous JP4 fuel explosion. The main rotor broke free and whirled
toward us, only being slowed by the trees in its path. The rotor landed within reach. There were no survivors from the
We observed NVA soldiers running toward the river after the crash.  I opened up on them with my M-16.  We later
observe three NVA bodies floating down the river.
I believe the LOH spoiled their flanking action, which would have brought the enemy to our weak flank that was being
protected by my RTO and myself. As the firefight began, those troops on my flank moved toward the contact, making us
vulnerable to an attack from upstream of the river. Nothing was between my location and the downed LOH but two
Max was unable to see anything, so I directed our most forward element to pop smoke to allow Max to identify their
position. After identifying the smoke color, Max rolled in and let the rockets fly. We repeated Max and artillery during
the day.
The company medics tried to get the wounded to the waiting downstream medevac, but the land route was cut off by
small arms fire. I instructed our medic to inflate air mattresses and float the wounded downstream to the helicopter. This
provided ample defilade and security, working without any difficulty.
Suddenly, we were receiving fire from the South bank of the Dong Nai River. I directed the tactical spotter in a fixed
wing aircraft to the location of the 51 caliber machine guns and they were taken out by tactical air strikes using F-4’s.
Five mortar rounds (82mm) were walked down from the downed LOH towards the medevac helicopter.  One round
nearly took SP4 Dennis Taylor, my RTO, and myself out when it caught a palm tree limb, slid down the tree center and
exploded about 3 feet from us.  I believe the enemy thought we were about to flank their position. That was the only
volley of 82mm I knew about.
The firefight was still going strong, despite artillery and rockets. I called in more Tactical Air Napalm and Bombs. The
Forward Air Controller contacted me to direct his spotting rockets, so the F-4s could roll in and drop napalm and bombs  
on the bunker complex. The strikes were close enough for us to feel the heat from the Napalm.
The first encounter lasted 6 hours. Company B arrived in the early afternoon, and proceeded to attack, also taking
significant casualties.
Somehow, as A Company pulled back, I wound up behind a downed tree. Some time later the Forward Observer from  
Company B, who was wounded, arrived at the same location.
That night, sounds could be heard coming from the complex.
Soldiers reported being hit by rocks, thrown by the enemy. No one revealed his position until later in the night.
A C-130 gunship arrived after dark. About 2200 hours, our position was hit by Gatling gunfire as bullets rained down. It  
sounded like a heavy rain coming through the Jungle. The B Company Forward Observer and myself were leaning  
against a large tree while bullets fell around us, hitting the tree. Six soldiers were injured from that experience and    
were medevaced out in the middle of the night. The Medevac landing lights exposed many personnel. I heard that most
injuries were leg wounds.
The next morning prior to the arrival of the Log bird, there was a mad minute of firing into the bunker complex.
No return fire was received.
When the log bird landed that morning on June 3rd, I paid my respects to the Commander and left for R&R, returning
back to Alpha Company on June 15th.
It must have been divine intervention that I was not in a body bag awaiting transport home, with a wife en route to
Hawaii at the same time we were in contact.
Canned Mackerel from Japan
Nestles canned milk
Rice, from the USA
Sp/4 Taylor                      Lt Sam Ault
The following men died in this firefight on June 2, 1969
* Alpha Company
+ Helicopter Crewmen
SSG Lyman Conrad Bach *

PFC Warren Fred Brown +

CPL Mark Steven Dreier *

1st LT Donald John Porter +
SP4 Wilbur Allen Smith *

CPL Preston Taylor JR *

SGT Ray Leonard Ulrich *

SGT Paul Frederick Weber +
Soldiers who were Medevaced out on June 2, & 3, 1969
ALPHA Company
Robert Garrad
Ernst Smith
Lloyd Brandt
Louis Ancar
Gary A. Melquist
David C Boyce
Frank Lanza
Johnny Ritter
Daniel Webber
Thomas B. Clark
Jack A. Barton
Stanley Hentin
Gregory M. Baer
James West
Robert Nixson
John M. Moskalsk
Vance F. Simons
Wayne H. Trask
William Sherman
Pablo Gutierrez
David C. Christ
John McLain
Floyd Monaco
Sess Lambert
Edward Balzano
William Williard
Wallace McKnight
Kevin McMenemie
Johnnie Webb
Interpreter Hoa
BRAVO Company
Alfonso Fleres
Edward J. Lenahan
Joseph O. Edick
Ronald J. Parks
Ronald M. Gondeck
Dowell W. Taylor
Timothy A. Strauss
Samuel Smith
Robert W. Pockopin
Steven K. Dreyer
Allen Kenwood
William E. Strangenwolf
Colin W. Reed
Roger M. Shepherd
Darrell D. Meadows
Jerry Matson
Alan A. Maley
Paul H. Grandy
Jack A. Duran